Friday, November 9, 2012

Chapter 3: Regret

Shadow woke up on a bitter cold morning, with the scent of death lingering on the air.  Blinking, he sat up.  "What happened?" he muttered to himself.  Then in flash of horror, he saw his mate's dead body lying on the ground, and it all rushed back to him like a wave of blood, drowning him in the cold reality he had caused.  "No..." he whispered, the sound rattling against the air like dry bones.  "They're dead.  All of them..."  Sobbing, he slumped to the ground.  "What have I done?"  After hours, he finally got up stiffly.  "I have to bury them, at least.  I wish I could do more...."  Weakly, he forced himself to where the three bodies lay, and gazed at them numbly for a few minutes.  One big, two small.  One mother, two kits.  Pearl, Stone, Dew, and Ink...wait a minute.  Ink wasn't there!  She was missing!  Shadow drew back with gasp.  Frantically, he looked around the cave, searching for the dark blue body.  But she wasn't there.  Breathing a sigh of relief, he sobbed with joy.  If she wasn't there, then she might not be dead! He had something to live for!  Padding to the cave mouth, he smiled.  I will find her.  I will make things right.  Then he looked back into the cave, and sorrow blurred his sight.  Right after I bury my family.

3 comments: